Sunday, November 10, 2019

Courthouse Steps

The courthouses are being built one step at a time. Bonnie had recommended making a few blocks at a time, but it is easier for me to make them in an assembly line process. 



I sorted my scraps by size - first round is about 2 inches and less than 4 inches in length, second round is between 4 and 6 inches, third round is between 6 and 8 inches and the final round is longer than 8 inches. This kept me from using up the longer lengths when smaller ones were available. It also made it convenient to find the right size scraps.


When I am done with that round of the blocks, all the trimmings and any leftover scraps are thrown away. Remember when I was personifying my quilts by making generations quilts? I am thinking of these blocks as Day of the Dead quilt. These fabrics won't be able to make any more children since the leftovers are being thrown away. They are the last of the line. Yet they are a joyful bunch and showcase a great history of other quilts that have been made with these fabrics.

Then I realized that I had more scraps in the shoe box. Apparently I hadn't sorted all my scraps by sizes so maybe there will be another generation quilt after all, if I have too many blocks to fit into one quilt!


15 Minutes to Stitch: Week 44

This week, I finished binding the Drunkard's Garden. If you haven't seen it yet, please do!

 I also started the first couple of rounds of more Courthouse Steps.

  • 15 Minute sessions of stitching this week: 7 out of 7
  • 15 Minute sessions of stitching this year: 275 out of 314 sessions
  • Success Rate: 88%
Linked with:
Kate's Life in Pieces 15 Minutes to Stitch

10 comments:

chrisknits said...

I swear they really do multiple in those dark storage boxes we keep them in! Maybe we need to keep them out in the open to stop the shenanigans? LOL

Fiona said...

Well done with the blocks and having the scraps sorted to a degree certainly helps.
Hugz

Allie said...

Day of the Dead quilt - oh girl you keep me laughing so hard!!!!! Love it!

Kim said...

Just look at all that scrappy-ness! It makes me joyful to look at your Courthouse Steps. Love all those scrappy fabrics. I am in love with your Drunkard's Path. How bright and cheery it is. I can't wait to see all those Courthouse blocks stitched together. Happy stitching!

Kyle said...

Super fun blocks. I laughed at your idea of generations of fabrics!

Nancy said...

Quilts begetting quilts.... Several times I've made quilts from the leftovers of previous quilts. No more than two but I wonder if, after a while, they begin to look like family and lose a little of their individuality. Probably not....
Love your log cabin blocks. They'll be great in a quilt!

Elaine Adair said...

I also do project assembly style - this is turnout out so interesting - and the Drunkards Garden is lovely. Thanks for stopping at my blog - where are you in the U.S./world?

Kate said...

Love how you came to the Day of the Dead name for the quilt. Too fun. Great metrics last week. Hope this week is shaping up to be as good.

Christina said...

Great job in finding time to stitch this past week. It feels amazing to make progress doesn't it? Your Courthouses are coming along, I love the thought and effort you are putting in to find the shorter strips. Very smart!

Tanya said...

My scrappy strips are multiplying too!