The reason that the Cultural Fusion rail fence became sidetracked was because it needed more blocks to make the layout. And I have misplaced the book, and because I had forgotten the size I had cut the strips to make the block. Even if I looked for and found the book, it might not have matter, because I'm pretty sure I had altered the size.
It turns out that it was a simple matter of measuring the parts of a block that was already made and I was good to go!
The purple fabric was already out, so I must have chosen it for this quilt, and the B&W fabric was in my scrap box and in just the right amount. It was used in my improv quilt using one of Sherri Lynn's scores.
I have been sewing together all of the leftover rails end to end and I added the leftover rails of these blocks to the chain. I kept the values the same throughout the chain - all the darks in one row the lights in the other. Since the leftovers were done, I considered different options. It is a little hard to show since the rails were in one long chain.
Alternating light and dark.
Alternating two rows of lights and two rows of darks. I like this better because it better emphasizes the darks and lights.
Courthouse square or log cabin While this method intrigues me, I had already used it for the Elephant improv so I decided not to make another one of those.
I cut the pieces to one size and sewed them together. While I did reject some combinations because I didn't want big blobs of one color or fabric in any one section of the quilt, for the most part, I just combined them as I picked them up. I think this is how the Mile a Minute quilt is created.
Here's the finished top.
The whole time I was making it, I expected it to be horizontal. But the seam allowances took quite a bit of the length, and now it is wider than it is long when you look at it this way.
I like the little raindrop or teardrop that wound up in this piece.