Sunday, March 22, 2020

Quote Quilt Progress

Sometimes I hesitate to post a midweek progress post, in case there isn't anything picture-worthy to post at the end of the week. I hesitated this week too, but I have plenty more to show you that I added to the quote quilt during the second half of the week.


This elephant comes from a fabric that I purchased myself. It is probably the only fabric I have ever bought for myself that was bought at full price.   I have heard of the philosophy that instead of buying lots of things on sale, you should buy that one special thing that brings your heart joy, even if you pay more for it.  I waited for months for it to go on sale, and it never did, so finally I decided to go ahead and buy it anyway while it was still available.


This gray fabric is from the Maximalist quilt. It makes me happy to see fabric from other quilts in this one. Many of the blue fabrics are from my other quilts too - the ones that weren't made by other people.


In my last post, I said I was using broderie perse.  While it is technically true, I think of broderie perse as a collage of motifs that form their own, new motif. This flowerpot is made from three different pieces of fabric.


Here are the leaves I have added to this tree thus far.  There are probably enough leaves, but I might still add more.


Since I had the quilt outside to take the photos, I am showing you a full photo. The top is on the left side so you will have to turn your head to see it. Those white blobs on top of and underneath the elephant are drawings of new motifs that I plan to add in those places.

Waterfront Property


2020:  Week 12 of 15 Minutes to Stitch

We had a lot of flooding this week due to heavy rain.  Many roads were closed, some were damaged, and some people in a nearby town were evacuated.  Many of my neighbors reported water in their basements. My backyard was flooded but there was only a small trickle of water in the basement. Water did get into the garage, but most things are stored off the floor so it should be all right.

That orange stuff in the picture, because I was wondering, are flowers that fell from the neighbor's maple tree.


On the employment front, there is a strong probability that the project I am working on will be cancelled or delayed. We continued to work on getting everything set up for the busy period.  On Friday, we got a notice that there isn't any new information, but I have a feeling that there will be a notice on Monday, or that there might already be a notice in my work email.


Two of my family members have already been laid off, and two of them have been sent home to  school from home.

As I write this, the Ohio governor has just enacted a stay at home order, which tightens the restrictions even further, which means even more of the family are laid off.


I worked on the quote quilt this week.

15 minute days this week -- 7 out of 7
15 minute days this year -- 82 out of 82 days
Success rate  = 100%

6 comments:

cspoonquilt said...

The quote quilt is looking great. I have really enjoyed following your progress on it. I like your 'waterfront property' too! lol

Vivian said...

Such a lovely project! Your calming blues, wise quotes and precious brodery and embroidery insertions make this a perfect quilt for these times.

Emily said...

What a lovely elephant! A great choice for a personal splurge. I love your embroidered tree, and thanks for the look at the whole thing--it's gorgeous!

Tanya said...

I am so sorry to hear about the lay offs in your family. It is such a hard time for everyone... worrying about health and then the economy too. Keep reading all your wonderful quotes in your quilt and stay busy and positive. I'm trying to spend my time wisely too.

Lorna McMahon said...

This is such an epic quilt! What a treasure in the making!

Allie said...

What an amazing quilt! And your waterfront property looks a lot like mine, lol....yikes. Both my boys are laid off, but hubby is still working and I wish he wouldn't, cases are exploding exponentially here and our governor has outlawed the two drugs the President talked about - even though several people here have had them and they worked for them, in a matter of hours. Scary times for sure. Be safe, be well, hon!