Monday, December 17, 2018

Book Review: Decluttering at the Speed of Life


I just finished reading Decluttering at the Speed of Life: Winning Your Never-Ending Battle with
Stuff by Dana K. White. You would think I would be an expert at de-cluttering by now if you count the number of books that I've read about the subject, but I still  need to learn a new mindset and find yet another strategy that makes oh so much sense in the why didn't I think of that? way.  Plus, it is a perfect procrastination excuse. Yes, I will declutter as soon as I learn how to by reading this book.

This book makes a lot of sense to me.  It talks about de-cluttering a little bit at a time instead of making a big project out of it that will make your house look worse instead of better. It also talks about doing the easy stuff first just to get started and get the house looking better easily. It also talks about how to clean craft / hobby rooms.

I started cleaning my craft room first.  I know she said to do the visible areas first, and always keeping the visible areas clean before digging in the places in the back, but those back rooms are causing me the most angst.  The biggest things that are taking up space in my sewing room are the non-quilty fabrics. The jeans, old sweaters, etc., that would be so good in some project. A jeans quilt, some sweater pillows, some crazy quilting, etc. Except that I haven't been making those and I have to dig around those to get to the good stuff because those things are dumped on the floor because there isn't room on the shelves for them.   Once I thought about the container concept - the room is only so big, and isn't going to get bigger, I need to get rid of the things that are taking up space. I can always find more of those things if I actually do want to make them. I have quality fabric - why do I need to use old stuff no matter how thrifty it sounds. I make small things - I can save small pieces if I absolutely have to keep something.

I stuffed a bag of old clothing, ready to throw out. Then I came across this blog where she was using jeans to make a cactus. Sigh, this is going to be a long process. I have to admit to taking a pair of jeans out of the bag, but I took the rest to the dumpster so there is no more temptation.

7 comments:

Melody A. said...

Goodwill will take clothes that are no longer wearable if you mark the bag rags/ unwearable, they will be sent somewhere and used that way. Just a thought and might make it easier to deal with overabundance. I have lots. I know. Happy Holidays from Iowa

Kate said...

Decluttering is an ongoing struggle for most of us I think. I've been trying the "little at a time approach", a cabinet here, a shelf in the closet there. At least I'm getting rid of things. At some point I'm hoping to get like together with like, but that takes space. Good luck with your efforts.

Ann said...

I just took a bunch of our old jeans to the Goodwill then discovered our guild is having a workshop using denim. Sigh.
Like you, I'm still glad I did. We need the room.

maggie fellow said...

I just finished this book as well. The whole container size thing was a new mindset for me. But I am still afraid of the quilt room

Sherry said...

LOL It seems like everyone is reading that book, me included!

Her approach is much more down-to-earth and I can relate to her way of doing things much more than any of the other organizing books that I have read over the years.

I started in my kitchen. . . and my side of the table is clear; my husband is responsible for his own side of the table. LOL

This should be interesting.

Good luck!

Kim said...

Ahh....the getting rid of stuff! I did laugh at the jeans in a bag ready to go and then you found something of interest to make from them. This sounds like me. Sounds like a great book.

O'Quilts said...

I love my clutter...lol